Looking back on the last few years and my experience & path so far, there are 6 main lessons I have learned:
1. It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up. Always remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck and the right thing is waiting right around the corner for you. I’ve had many disappointment along the way, but looking back, each and every one of them happened for a reason.
2. If it’s both terrifying and amazing, then you should definitely pursue it. If a new opportunity scares me, I just know it is going to be good. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is only way you are going to see progress and realise your true potential. If something doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.
3. Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change. Never ever wait for opportunity, instead, go and create it. The ‘chancing my arm emails’, the decision to change college courses, the move to New York – all decisions which sculpted my future. Start making those changes!
4. Surround yourself with people who get it. One of the very biggest lessons I’ve learned, is to only be around people who want nothing but the best for you. You will be absolutely amazed what the difference that extra support will make. I’m so incredibly lucky to have grown up around parents who absolutely love everything about entrepreneurship. Any crazy idea I went to them with – they supported and I’ll always be grateful for that. It’s also to important to always remember that supporting anothers’ success won’t ever dampen yours and so focus on having a group of friends that live by this motto and be brave enough to get rid of any who don’t. Not always easy but you do not need any negativity in your life.
5. If you’re not doing what you love, you’re wasting your time. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we all only have one life. ONE chance to make the best of the ONE life we have. Why not wake up every morning and absolutely LOVE what you’re doing? Continue to do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do and work every day to make that dream of yours a reality.
6. The harder you work, the luckier you get. And the most important lesson of them all – absolutely nothing will work unless you do. Success if the sum of small efforts repeated day-in and day-out and yes the whole process is going to be hard but it is not impossible. Good things take time and A LOT of dedication, but if you truly want it, success and opportunity are coming your way.